Order The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try, 6th Edition Today! Click here to order now!
6th Edition Updates to A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide)
Change is here! Every four years, PMI updates the PMBOK® Guide. PMI released the PMBOK® Guide Sixth Edition and has changed their certification exams to reflect the updates. Here are key dates and facts:
- The PMBOK® Guide. PMI published the PMBOK® Guide—Sixth Edition in on September 6th, 2017. The book is available in the PMI Bookstore and on Amazon. Per PMI, you can expect the following updates in the new edition of the PMBOK® Guide:
- “A new chapter on the role of the project manager has been added to focus on leading projects effectively – competencies, experience and skills that are all necessary.
- Two Knowledge Areas have been re-named to more accurately reflect which elements can be managed… and which can not:
- Time Management is now Schedule Management
- Human Resource Management is now Resource Management
- Every Knowledge Area features four new sections:
- Key Concepts
- Trends and Emerging Practices
- Tailoring Considerations
- Considerations for Agile/Adaptive Environments”
- March 26, 2018 – PMP and PMI-ACP Exams changed on this date. After this date, you may no longer take a 5th edition test, only 6th edition tests will be administered.
- PMP Exam Change. PMI updated the PMP exam to harmonize the exam with the Sixth Edition. For example, changes to terminology in the Sixth Edition were made to the PMP exam to align the two and remove discrepancies.
- Note that PMI will not be offering a “grandfather clause” allowing individuals that have taken the 5th edition exam, and failed, to resit for the 5th edition exam after the exam changes to the 6th edition.
- How should you approach the 6th Edition PMP Exam? Find out by listening to Episode 52 of the Manage This Podcast.
- The RDS. It’s important to note that two factors lead to changes in the PMP exam: (1) updates to the PMBOK® Guide, and (2) changes in the PMP Examination Content Outline. The PMP Examination Content Outline only changes when PMI commissions a Role Delineation Study (RDS). The last RDS was conducted in 2015, so exam content outline will not be updated with the release of the PMBOK® Guide Sixth Edition. PMI conducts a RDS every 5 to 6 years.
- For more elaboration on these changes, please watch PMI’s video they have created to further explain:
PMBOK® Guide – Sixth Edition | What’s New?
- How will this new PMBOK® apply to YOU? Take a listen to Episode 45 of our ManageThis Podcast to find out!
- CAPM Exam Change. The CAPM exam is tied very closely to the PMBOK® Guide. PMI anticipates making significant changes to the CAPM exam related to the Sixth Edition and the exam will update separately from the PMP. The CAPM exam will officially change on May 21, 2018.
- PMI-ACP Exam Change. Along with references to agile in the PMBOK® Guide, PMI also released the new Agile Practice Guide in September 2017. Following this, the PMI-ACP Exam changed on March 26, 2018 to align with the Agile Practice Guide.
Bridging Mindsets: Creating the Agile Practice Guide (3 min video by the Project Management Institute)
***INSITE 6TH EDITION PMP ONLINE COURSE COMING SOON***
Check back here for updates on PMI’s Sixth Edition PMBOK® Guide, certification exams, and Velociteach resources as they become available or subscribe to our mailing list to stay informed!
Did you receive a FIRST printing of Andy Crowe’s book, The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try? If so, please download our Errata that addresses minor editorial changes. Note that this Errata only pertains to the FIRST printing of the textbook (refer to bottom of the copyright page of your book to confirm printing): PMP6_Errata_01_Web