6th Edition Updates to A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide)
Change is coming! Every four years, PMI updates the PMBOK® Guide. PMI has released the draft of the Sixth Edition, and the final version is due soon. Here are key dates and facts:
- Q3 2017. PMI will publish the PMBOK® Guide—Sixth Edition in ten translations by the third quarter of 2017. The book will be available in the PMI Bookstore in Q3.
- Q1 2018. PMI will change the PMP exam in the first quarter of 2018.
- PMP Exam Change. PMI will update the PMP exam to harmonize the exam with the Sixth Edition. For example, changes to terminology in the Sixth Edition will be made to the PMP exam to align the two and remove discrepancies.
- The RDS. It’s important to note that two factors lead to changes in the PMP exam: (1) updates to the PMBOK® Guide, and (2) changes in the PMP Examination Content Outline. The PMP Examination Content Outline only changes when PMI commissions a Role Delineation Study (RDS). The last RDS was conducted in 2015, so exam content outline will not be updated with the release of the PMBOK® Guide Sixth Edition. PMI conducts a RDS every 5 to 6 years.
- CAPM Exam Change. The CAPM exam is tied very closely to the PMBOK® Guide. PMI anticipates making significant changes to the CAPM exam related to the Sixth Edition. The CAPM exam changes should be implemented in Q1 2018, as well.
Check back here for updates on PMI’s Sixth Edition PMBOK® Guide as they become available!